31 July, 2012

Love is Best Expressed in Deeds


by: Jason R. Sarmiento

When Jesus was asked by his disciples what the greatest commandment is... He simply put it in two ways: "Love God above all things. Love your neighbor as yourself". However, straight forward this commandment is, a third of mankind find it difficult to do what this commandment entails. For most of us, Love is a great abstract feeling which we often equate, on the one hand, with infatuation, attraction and affection; on the other hand, with heroic devotion and self sacrificing service. Hence, we expect too much when we love, and when opportunities to show our love never comes, we likely tend to see ourselves as unlikable, and (even worse) unlovable and not capable of loving. 

This idea of loving, has actually inhibited us from establishing a relationship with. We become too confined by this "Love - as - a - feeling - idea" that we fail to see the simpler and more sincere manifestations of which is in the air. How then can love be fully expressed? In the context of the two greatest commandments, Jesus did not really prescribe a black and white formula for loving. Nevertheless, the commandments themselves reveal that this love can best be expressed by Loving Oneself; Loving Others; Loving Nature - expression of our Love for God.

Love for the self. This self love is not a morbid preoccupation with ourselves and our own interest. In my case this means: counting my blessings, thanking God for the gift of life - for allowing me to wake up in the morning to continue to live. This also means seeing that I am blessed with the people, who do not only bring joy in my life but also compliments my lackness. And finally to thank God for allowing me to use the gifts I have received undeservedly, which allow me to serve God in different ways - for all of these, I HAVE LOVED. 

Love for others - to love the others means to will good for another. For me this means to be faithful to my commitment as a father to my son, a husband to my wife, a teacher to my students, a friend to my colleagues, a fellow human being to the strangers - to wake up each day and dedicate my every hour doing my own ministry with passion and compassion - for all of these, I HAVE LOVED

Love for nature. This does not simply mean taking care of nature but an awareness that everything that God has created represents the very image and likeness that HE is. Love for nature then requires one to see things with sense of awe and wonder and treat them with reverence. For me, this may mean - committing myself to ECOTENEO - to build a lush green, healthy, eco- friendly school. This also calls me to become a faithful steward - for all these, I HAVE LOVED. 

These manifold acts - Loving the self, others and nature draw us to acquire the gift to love unconditionally - a  process that leads us to strengthen our loving relationship with God. The Father who created me for love; the Son who redeemed me for love and the Holy Spirit who empowers me for love. 


Jason is a Christian Life Education teacher who is now serving as the fourth year level coordinator at the Ateneo de Davao Highshool. He is also a doting father to Johan and a loving husband to Janice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment