23 May, 2012

my Ten Thoughts on #CJontrial

Back in college, I used to go straight home (and usually in a hurry) to catch the Impeachment Trial against the Former President Joseph Ejercito Estrada. I have been faithful in watching the process which is of national interest that sometimes I would skip class (bad!). I watched the trial alone in my room but I did not mind and I was not bored even a second. And after several years, we are now having another Impeachment Trial against the Supreme Court Justice Renato Corona. This time, I have not religiously tuned in to the trial due to work but Day 40 is the big day I can't miss it because the respondent took the witness stand. So, I skipped our boxing training to watch what has been another historical event in the Philippines.

I am no credible authority on law but a commoner will always have her points of view and these are my thoughts on what took place on the Day 40 of the Impeachment Trial.

1. At some point, his appeal to emotions worked on me. There where moments when I felt that what he was saying was from his heart (Ex. his concern towards his brother).

man of the hour is emotional
2. He has given us common but very effective financial tips which is to have a simple lifestyle and to be matipid (Ex. no household help, not using the air conditioner). But did he really walk the talk? If he is really  walking the talking then I would really love to be as rich and follow his tips. 

3. Harvey Keh went through a  more difficult ordeal during the previous session compared to the Chief Justice. At that time, I thought Harvey Keh was the accused but he composed himself well although you can feel the tension.

man in question
4. Why did I not hear from Senator Miriam Defensor- Santiago all through out the Day 40 of the #CJontrial. I find it unusual.

what happened?
5. There is a remarkable show of support for the Chief Justice from the Supreme Court workers. I think he is a good boss to them. 

supporters from Davao 
6. Family feud can be very heart- breaking than any other conflicts. Judgement from a family member is most difficult to digest.

daughter of Jose Basa III
7. The Basa- Guidote Enterprise has been dragged in this trial too. I know that the wife of the CJ is a Basa but Guidote??? Damn, Emily and Daniel are really rich (hahaha)! I got reality and fiction mixed up.

8. When he talked about the waiver and signed it, I told myself  that this man is brave and might be saying the truth. But making it conditional is a big turn- off. He could have challenged the 188 Representatives and Senator Drilon but making it a condition to look into your account is a boo! What a twist?! 

9. His last statements were strong: "I am no fool" and "I, the Chief Justice of the Republic of the Philippines wishes to be excused". However, those words were just secondary to his strongest action: the walk- out. For me, his statements confirmed his knowledge of his fate and stressed his power as the Chief Justice which is equal to the President and the Senate President. And the walk- out means I am not subject to cross examination. Whatever the real reason is it was very obvious that the Senate President Enrile was not amused (poor Justice Cuevas!).

10. News today would say that he is in the Intensive Care Unit, so the Impeachment court is left with a difficult decision to make.

You may agree or agree to disagree but this is just me. God Bless the Philippines!

P.S. The pictures are not mine and I got these from these sites (thank you!):



No comments:

Post a Comment